Escape Route Planning for Homeowners
A house fire is never a situation that a homeowner wants to find themselves in. While most are prepared with smoke detectors, many homeowners have agreed that they do not have a proper fire escape plan in place for their family. If this unfortunate event should ever occur you want to do everything possible to help protect your family.
Here are some tips on how you can create or improve your fire escape plan.
- It’s always a good idea to have a map of your home drawn and then establish ways to exit 2 different ways from each room.
- Make sure you have a team or family captain so as not to create any other chaos, select just one responsible adult.
- Be sure to determine where you will meet. Everyone should know where to meet together after they have safely exited the home. Make sure it’s a safe distance from the house and everyone knows to go there immediately.
- Teach children to stay very low in the home in case of a fire. Practice crawling around and show them the proper way to leave and exit the room.
- Keep close checks on all of the alarm smoke alarms in the home make sure the kids are well aware of what it sounds like when the alarm goes off.
- Fire drills are very important too. Practice them often and make sure everyone can leave the house in a quick and timely manner.
Never allow overconfidence to settle in and fail to plan a reasonable escape route in case of a fire. Keep your family safe and make it a high priority.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!